At Riverdale Middle School, uniforms are mandatory.
The uniform can be purchased from designated uniform suppliers. No variation to the school uniform dress code is acceptable.
Sweatshirts and PE Uniforms are available to be purchased at school.
The sweatshirts can be purchased for $20.
The PE uniforms can be purchased for $30
The specifics of our school uniform are:
Short sleeve polo-type knit shirts in either solid red or solid white with the school name and logo. Shirts must be worn tucked in at the waist so the belt or waistband of the skirt is visible at all times. No type of long sleeve garment is allowed under the short sleeve uniform shirt. Only white sleeveless under shirts or plain white short-sleeved t-shirts (no writing or pictures) are allowed to be worn under the uniform shirt.
Pants must be khaki uniform pants. Khaki cargo, carpenter, painter, cell phone pants, skinny, leggings and khaki colored jeans are not acceptable. Pants must be worn at the waist, belted, and must fit the waist snugly. Loose fitting pants, baggy pants, and/or those worn low on the hips will not be tolerated. The waist is defined as a line circling the body which is level with the belly-button. A student is not allowed to wears pants which are baggy but tightly belted.
Plaid skirts for girls
Skirts must be purchased from one of the uniform suppliers. Skirts must be worn at approximately the knee length.
Belts must be solid khaki, brown, black, white or red. The length of the belt must be tucked into belt loops and must be visible at all times.
Belt buckles must be the most plain and simple type made. We do not tolerate belt buckles which are larger than the width of the belt. There can be no ornamentation, logos, initials, names, words, etchings or engraving, pictures, buckles that light up, etc.
Socks must be either solid red, solid white or solid black. Socks cannot have stripes, pictures, logos, etc. SOCKS MUST BE WORN WITH ALL SHOES.
Casual shoes must be either brown or black. NO BOOTS OF ANY KIND MAY BE WORN. Tennis shoes may be worn but must be white, black, or red or may contain any combination thereof. No other colors are acceptable. Backless shoes, thongs, slippers, or shoes with heels higher than two (2) inches are not permissible. All shoes must be worn in the manner in which they are designed to be worn. Shoes with laces must be entirely laced and properly tied. Laces of various colors are not permitted. Shoes with straps, buckles, etc. are to be tied and fastened.
THE ONLY SWEATSHIRT THAT WILL BE ALLOWED IS A RIVERDALE SWEATSHIRT. This must be purchased from the school and no other sweatshirt will be allowed. Sweatshirts must be worn as one would wear a shirt or put away in the studnets school bag. Sweatshirts worn around the waist, neck will not be allowed. No other pullover, zip-up, or sweatshirt is acceptable. Sweatshirts cannot be substituted for the polo-style shirt.
In addition for the 2016-2017 school year our uniform providers will be offering a black button up sweater with the IB logo embroidered on the front. This is the only sweater that may be worn.
In severe cold weather, any kind of outer coat is acceptable. For an item to be considered a coat, it must be heavier and thicker than the uniform sweatshirt or jacket. STUDENTS SHOULD LAYER THEIR CLOTHING – UNDERSHIRT (WHITE ONLY), RIVERDALE MIDDLE UNIFORM SHIRT, RIVERDALE MIDDLE SWEATSHIRT, AND EVEN A RIVERDALE MIDDLE JACKET/IB SWEATER MAY BE WORN. STUDENTS MAY NOT WEAR A NON- RIVERDALE ITEM UNDER THE SWEATSHIRT(FOR EXAMPLE BUT NOT LIMITED TO A BLUE HOODIE UNDER THE RMS SWEATHSIRT). Students are sent to the gym when the temperature gets below 50 degrees.
No cloth or fabric book bags, tote bags, or backpacks. This includes girl’s purses which are made like book bags or backpacks. ONLY CLEAR OR MESH BOOK BAGS ARE PERMITTED.
Options for the Uniform Include
- Shirt: A long sleeve polo – type shirt in either solid red or solid white with the school name and logo. Only white sleeveless under shirts or plain white short sleeved t-shirts are allowed to be worn under a uniform shirt.
- Sweatshirts: Official Riverdale Middle School sweatshirts in red, black or ash with the school name and/or logo. No hooded garments.
- Jackets: Official Riverdale Middle School jackets (lined or unlined) with or without hoods. The jackets are red and have the school name and logo on them.
- Plaid Skirt: Girls may wear a uniform plaid skirt. Skirts must be hemmed at knee length. A skirt’s waistband must be visible at all times around the entire waist and cannot be rolled.
- Leggings: Students are not allowed to wear leggings under their skirt. This was a direct violation to the Parish Dress Code, which states: a student will not wear clothing that is tight fitting, including but not limited to bike pants, leggings, . . . . We cannot supercede this policy.
- No variation to the school uniform dress code is acceptable. All uniform options must be purchased form one of the school’s official uniform sources.
Additional School Rules
- Backpacks must be either mesh or clear.
- Hoods, hats, caps, bandanas, rags, wash cloths, towels, head bands, wrist bands, etc. are not allowed at any time. Do not bring these on campus. If brought on campus these items will be confiscated and a parent will have to retrieve the item(s).
- No stripes or other outrageous styles that bring attention or cause disruption such as MOHAWKS AND SCULPTED DESIGNS. NO CUTS IN EYEBROWS ALLOWED.
- Any hair coloring must be naturally occurring hair color (i.e. no burgundy or maroon).
- No nose rings, or any body piercing jewelry except earrings worn in the ears.
- No thongs, slippers, Birkenstocks, clogs or backless shoes, or any shoes with heels higher than two (2) inches.
- No sunglasses indoors.
- No open drinking containers are allowed on school grounds. Unopened drinks may be brought for lunch, but they must be consumed during lunch.
- No holes, rips or cuts in clothing
- All clothes must be hemmed
- Skirts must be knee length and worn with the entire waistband visible at all times
- No hair rollers, combs, picks, or chop sticks in hair.
- No rat-tail combs or metal picks on campus
- No camouflage apparel or accessory
- No unpatriotic words or pictures on clothing
- Students are not allowed to write or draw on any article of clothing.
- No names, nick-names, etc. on uniform apparel, or any other garment
- No P.E. uniforms worn except during P.E. Classes
- No clothing, jewelry, or written material depicting any type of off campus fraternities, sororities, or any other group designs, insignia, or symbols not approved by the school
- Clothing items labeled Riverdale High School are not allowed.
- No clothing, jewelry, or written material depicting any alcohol, drug, or cigarette related items or symbols, or violence (such as but not limited to skulls, guns, etc. . .)
- No clothing, jewelry, etc. with suggestive words or pictures or anything else that can be considered disruptive to the learning process as determined by the administration
- No politically related clothing (this includes items for past politicians, buttons, etc.)
- No chains are allowed, except those which are specifically designed and sold as jewelry to be worn around the wrist or neck
- No type of jewelry/apparel with studs/spikes
- No excessively large earrings or finger rings or rings covering more than one finger
- Earrings which are round in shape may not larger than a quarter ($0.25). Earrings which hang or dangle may not hang or dangle lower than a quarter ($0.25) below the earlobe. When a quarter is held to the earring if any part of the earring shows then the earring is illegal
- Headphones will not be allowed on campus. If a child needs to bring headphones for a technology class or project they must be left in the possession of the teacher.
Consequences for violating any of the above rules:
1st offense Detention, Parent Conference,Intervention Room, or possible confiscation
2nd offense Intervention Room/Suspension
Uniform Violation Consequences:
1st offense Detention
2nd offense 2 Detentions
3rd offense Parent Conference
4th offense Intervention Room/Suspension
Wearing an article that does not comply with our uniform policy may result in a student being sent home. An example may be, but not limited to, are pants that do not fit at the waist and prevent a student from following the dress code regardless of his intentions. Violations of the dress code are deliberate and will not be treated as mere uniform violations but rather as a refusal to follow school rules. Consequently, students whose pants do not fit properly “AT the waist” will be sent home until new pants are purchases or the existing pants are altered to fit. Girls that do not wear their school skirts “At the waist” or those that are worn shorter than 2″ above the knee will, too, be sent home until the problem is solved.