What will my child learn this school year? (click open to see) 06 Science Standards – Grade 6
What is the 5E model of learning?
What is expected of my child for LEAP testing in April?
LEAP Item Type QUESTIONS
• Selected Response (SR): includes traditional multiple-choice (MC) questions with four answer options and only one correct answer, as well as multiple-select (MS) questions with five to seven answer options and more than one correct answer. For MS items, the question identifies the number of correct answers. All SR items are worth one point each.
• Technology Enhanced (TE): uses technology to capture student comprehension in authentic ways, previously difficult to score by machine for large-scale assessments. TE items are worth up to two points and may include item types such as, but not limited to, drag and drop, drop down menus, and hot spots. The Online Tools Training allows students to experience TE items and practice answering them to prepare for the computer-based test.
• Two-part Item: requires students to answer two related questions, worth two points. Two-part items may combine SR and/or TE item types.
o Two-part Dependent (TPD): the first part must be correct in order to earn credit for the second part.
o Two-part Independent (TPI): each part is scored independently.
• Constructed Response (CR): requires a brief response provided by the student and will be scored using a 2-point rubric. These items may require a brief paragraph, a few sentences, and/or completion of a chart.
• Extended Response (ER): asks students to write an in-depth response that expresses the students’ ability to apply all three dimensions of the LSS for Science and will be scored using a 9-point rubric.
What can I do as a parent to help my child succeed?
- Log into Student Progress Center and check my child’s grades https://jpsis.jpschools.org/progress/
- Check the wiki for due dates on assignments & assessments
- Check your child’s folder. There should not be loose papers in the pockets, Papers should be completed in order on the proper pages.
- Sign up to receive text message reminders about assignments & assessments
- Ask your child what they learned about in science today, if they do not know look in their folder and check the wiki
- Email me with questions/concerns email@example.com or respond to the remind text messages.
JPPSS-6th-Grade-Science-1st-NW (scope and sequence click to open)
What can I do to help my child’s grade improve?
Check student progress center. https://jpsis.jpschools.org/progress/
Make-up any missing homework, classwork, or DO NOWS
Any participation grades less than (105% A) see Ms. Crane
Students have their QUIZZES & TESTS, Turn in Test Corrections to improve your grade. Lost your test? See Ms. Crane
See Ms. Crane NOW if you are worried, not one week before report cards are due to come out.
What supplies does my child need to be prepared for learning each class?
Students need sharpened pencils, pens, erasers, pencil sharpener, scotch tape, crayons, scissors and looseleaf paper to be ready to learn in class. Students need to bring their binder with pocket dividers each class. (replace when damaged)
How can I help create a good learning environment for my child?
Classroom supplies needed: (+5 bonus pts for each)
pack of copy paper (+10 pts)
dry erase markers
Anyone interested in doing a science fair project for extra credit must:
1. Return signed verification form in science fair packet.
2. Submit a title to be approved by Ms. Crane.
3. Follow science fair timeline turn in parts to be checked by Ms. Crane
(All parts must be typed)
4. Turn in completed science fair project board on due date Monday, November 26th (day after Thanksgiving holiday)
ANYONE CONCERNED WITH THEIR GRADES OR MISSING WORK SHOULD SEE MS. CRANE DURING LUNCH OR AFTER SCHOOL ASAP, CONTACT ME BY REMIND OR EMAIL.
INTERACTIVE SCIENCE BINDER
1st Divider – UNITS
Title Page with student name & 3 goals
Table of Content (click on the documents to open)
Page 0 – 2018 fun SYLLABUS
Page 2 – Unit 1: Earth’s Place in the Universe decorated Title Page
Page 3 – 2 Lunar Cycle stations
Page 4 – LUNAR CYCLE NOTES
Page 5 – Lunar Cycle Flip Book
Page 6 – Lunar Cycle Calendar
Page 7 – Engagement Eclipses (venn-diagram)
Page 8 – Eclipses Input Stations
Page 9 – Eclipses Notes extended
Page 10 – Seasons stations
Page 11 – Season’s Notes
Page 12 -Seasons Wheel (cut globes & glue) & Seasons details
Page 13 – ABC Planet Vocabulary
Page 14 – Gravity Stations
Page 15 – Planets and Gravity NOTES
Page 16 – Planet Foldable
Page 17 – Galaxy Stations
Page 18 – Eclipses & Phases worksheet double sided(Classwork grade)
Page 19 -Unit 2 – Energy (decorated student page)
Page 20 – Potential and Kinetic Energy Stations
Page 21 – Potential and Kinetic Energy Notes
Page 22 – Rollercoaster
Page 23 – balanced and unbalanced stations
Page 24 –
2nd Divider – DO NOW
Students keep track of DO NOW POINTS which will equal a QUIZ grade goal is 55 points total per 9 weeks.
#1 8/9 (Th) & 8/10 (F) 1-5 5 pts
#2 8/13 (M) & 8/14 (T) 6-10 5 pts
#3 8/15 (W) & 8/16 (Th) 11-15 5 pts
#4 8/17 (F) & 8/20 (M) 16-20 5 pts
# 5 8/27(M) & 8/28(T) 21-26 6 pts
# 6 8/29 (W) & 8/30 (Th) 27-30 4 pts
# 7 9/6 (Th) & 9/7 (F) 31-38 8 pts
# 8 9/10 (M) & 9/11 (T) 39-45 7 pts
# 9 9/18 (T) & 9/19 (W) 46-51 6 pts
# 10 9/20 (Th) & 9/21 (F) 52 – 57 7 pts
# 11 9/24 (M) & 9/25 (T) 58 – 62 5 pts
# 12 9/26 (W) & 9/27 (Th) 63 – 65 3 pts
#13 10/9 (T) & 10/10 (W) 66 – 70 5 pts
#14 10/11 (Th) & 10/12 (F) 71 – 74 4 pts
#15 10/15 (M) & 10/16 (T) 75 – 78 4 pts
#16 10/17 (W) & 10/18 (Th) 79 – 81 3 pts
#17 10/19 (F) & 10/22 (M) 82 – 86 5 pts
# 18 10/23 (T) & 10/24 (W) 87 – 92 6 pts
3rd Divider – Exit Tickets
10/9 & 10/10 Accountable Talk
What is energy? (the ability to do work or cause change)
Work – applied force to an object, the object moves in the direction of the force applied, the force is perpendicular to the object.
Work = Force x Distance (measured in Joules) Work is a measurement of energy.
What is the difference between potential & kinetic energy?
PE = stored energy or energy of position KE = energy of motion
10/11 & 10/12 Accountable Talk
How can potential energy be increased?
How can kinetic energy be increased?
10/15 & 10/16 Accountable Talk
Explain the PE & KE of the graph of the pendulum as it swings.
If the pendulum was raised to a higher starting position, what would happen to the graph?
10/17 & 10/18 Accountable Talk
A student conducted an investigation to observe the motion of different balls. He used fans to exert a force on the balls using various fan settings for each test. A diagram of his set was shown in class.
What can we do to keep the ball balanced?
What can you do to move the ball to the right?
4th Divider – Homework
HW #1 Due: 8/17 (F) & 8/20 (M) Draw a picture of the lunar cycle label the 8 phases of the moon.
HW #2 Due: 8/21 (T) & 8/22 (W) Lunar Phases HW sheet
HW #3 Due: 8/23 (Th) & 8/24 (F) Lunar Cycle crossword puzzle
HW #4 Due: 8/29 (M) & 8/30 (T) Draw and label a solar & lunar eclipse
HW #5 Due: 8/31 (F) & 9/6 (T) Eclipse Crossword Puzzle
HW # 6 Due: 9/10 (M) & 9/11 (T) Draw & Label the seasons on Earth
HOMEWORK STUDY GUIDE WORTH QUIZ GRADE DUE 9/10 & 9/11 STUDENT STUDY GUIDE moon, eclipses, seasons
STUDY for MAJOR TEST Gravity & Galaxies Friday (9/28) & Monday (10/1) STUDY GUIDE Gravity and Galaxies
HW # 7 Due: 10/11 (Th) & 10/12 (F) Potential Energy HW 7
HW # 8 Due: 10/15 (M) & 10/16 (T) Potential & Kinetic Energy worksheet
HW # 9 Due: 10/19 (F) & 10/22 (M) Net Force Worksheet
4th Divider – Tests
Students are given back their TESTS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LOOK OVER YOUR CHILD’S TEST WITH THEM. REVIEW IS PART OF LEARNING. Students are asked QUESTIONS during teaching, stations, notes, DO NOW, exit tickets, etc. These QUESTIONS are on QUIZZES, then QUIZZES add up to UNIT TESTS, MAJOR GRADES ARE WORTH 50% OF THEIR 9 WEEKS GRADES. I know kids do not like to fail or show you a bad grade, but it is part of the learning process to review and correct their mistakes. They should learn what they missed on the quiz so they can prepare for the Unit Test. PLEASE CHECK STUDENT PROGRESS CENTER AND KEEP UP WITH YOUR CHILD’S GRADES. IF WE ALL WORK TOGETHER STUDENT – TEACHER – PARENT, your child will be more successful. Students are RESPONSIBLE for keeping their work organized, their SCIENCE BINDER is their created portfolio of their work and science book their resource and reference. PLEASE HELP YOUR CHILD BE SUCCESSFUL! ANY CHILD WHO WRITES TEST CORRECTIONS WILL EARN EXTRA POINTS TO PULL UP YOUR GRADE AVERAGE. YOU HAVE TO SHOW ME YOUR ORIGINAL TEST AND ON A SEPARATE SHEET OF LOOSELEAF WRITE THE QUESTION WITH THE CORRECT ANSWER IN COMPLETE SENTENCES. Explain WHY the answer is correct. REVIEWING YOUR TEST WILL HELP PREPARE YOUR CHILD FOR THE NEXT ASSESSMENT, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY YOU WANT THEM TO LEARN. LEARNING TAKES TIME AND ENERGY.
1st 9 weeks
8/30 (Th) & 8/31 (F) Lunar Cycle QUIZ
9/10 (M) & 9/11 (T) STUDY GUIDE worth QUIZ grade Lunar Cycle, Eclipses, & Seasons (Major Test 9/12 & 9/13)
9/14 (F) & 9/17 (M) Re-Teaching Lunar Cycle QUIZ & Eclipse QUIZ
10/3 (W) & 10/4 (Th) Lunar Cycle, Eclipses, & Seasons Major Grade
10/3 (W) & 10/4 (Th) Gravity & Galaxies Major Assessment
10/3 (W) & 10/4 (Th) District Unit 1 Test
2nd 9 weeks
10/19 (F) & 10/22 (M) PE & KE QUIZ
(Turn in test corrections on a separate sheet of paper with original test Write questions & answers and WHY its the correct answer)
8/23 & 8/24 Unit 1-1 Lunar Cycle QUIZ. Students should be able to show how the moon changes over time, the lunar cycle, draw and label a blank lunar cycle. Predict future and past moon phases.
8/30 & 8/31 Re-teaching Lunar Cycle QUIZ. Please make sure you child can draw and label the lunar cycle. Eclipse QUIZ please make sure your child knows the difference between a solar & lunar eclipse.
9/10 & 9/11 STUDY GUIDE DUE Lunar Cycle, Eclipses, & Seasons worth a QUIZ grade, major test Wed. & Thurs. STUDENT STUDY GUIDE moon, eclipses, seasons
9/12 & 9/13 MAJOR TEST Lunar Cycle, Eclipses, & Seasons (STUDY GUIDE given last week)
9/28 & 10/1 MAJOR TEST Gravity & Galaxies STUDY GUIDE Gravity and Galaxies
10/2 & 10/3 MAJOR DISTRICT UNIT 1 TEST on everything we have learned so far, lunar cycle, eclipses, seasons, gravity, & galaxies, Study both study guides, notes and DO NOW numbers 9 – 12.
2nd 9 weeks
10/15 & 10/16 Potential & Kinetic Energy Quiz
10/19 & 10/22 TAKE HOME QUIZ PE and KE
10/19 & 10/22 Balanced & Unbalanced QUIZ
10/23 & 10/24 UNIT 2 Energy District TEST Major Assessment
Currently there are no adopted textbooks being used with JPPSS science curriculum. Below is a link to two old textbooks we still have access to, Life & Earth Science only. Students science binders are the best resource for learning. Students need to keep a very organized binder, they are creating their own best resource for learning.
Click on the textbook below to login.