Social Studies – Ms. Colgan 6th Grade year 2016-2017
- Humans and the environment both impact and are impacted by each other
- Benefits and challenges of increased human population
- Human understanding of the world around them
- How does environment impact human settlement?
- How do patterns and themes recur across time and place?
- How are societies impacted by geography, historical events, politics, and economics?
Students will be able to: (SWBAT)
- Explore different peoples and places around the world over the course of time.
- Explain how society, the environment, the political and economic landscape, and historical events influence perspectives, values, traditions, and ideas.
- Learn how to develop claims and support with a foundation of a source, rather than an opinion. The reliance is on authentic sources focusing on primary sources whenever appropriate.
- Recognize recurring themes and patterns in history, geography, economics, and civics
- Evaluate the causes and consequences of events and developments
Sample Scope and Sequence
|Unit 1||Unit 2||Unit 3||Unit 4||Unit 5||Unit 6|
|Geographical Concepts & the First Civilizations
(Map skills, Nomadic to Agricultural Societies)
|Ancient River Valley Civilizations:
Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, and India
|Ancient Greece and Rome||Spread of Culture and Religion||Civilizations in Africa and Asia||Medieval Europe and the Renaissance|
|August – September||October – mid November||mid November – December||January – February||March – mid April||mid April – May|
Please NOTE that this schedule may flex according to students’ ability to grasp the content. Certain topics may be shortened, while others may be lengthened, to accommodate better understanding of the content.
Please check Wiki for posted assignments, study guides, and practice materials that will be given to students in case they lose any of the hard copies. Some quizzes may not be posted as students may be verbally quizzed in class for a grade. Tests will generally be notified about a week in advance, and study guides will be given in hard copy, along with a backup copy on wiki.
Quizlet.com is a great resource for students to practice. I highly recommend the practice tests using the fill in the blank, matching, and multiple choice options. My quizlets can be found by searching under my name. Also include any key words on the topic/content (ex: RMS Colgan maps).
If you have any questions, please email them to: email@example.com