7th Grade ELA
- Binder (just one for both Reading and LEAP Prep)
- Journal (this may be a folder with looseleaf, composition book, one subject spiral notebook, etc.)
- Pencils or pens (red pens and highlighters are good to have for editing)
- When a student it absent, it is their responsibility to ask me for make-up work. Students may contact me via email or after class (they may ask me before class too, but often the response is ask me at the end of class). If a student misses one day, I expect the missing work to be complete and turned in within two days. If a student misses several days, I will arrange a due date with the student.
Sustained Silent Reading:
- One of my main goals as a teacher, is to help the students develop a love for reading. Almost everyday students will be allowed to read a book of their choice. My only requirement is it is a chapter book (and school appropriate). We will visit the library a couple times a months or students may bring a book from home, but I must approve it. I do NOT allow them to read comic books, graphic novels, magazines, etc. during this time.
- Students are expected to write down their homework assignments in their agendas EVERYDAY and complete it by the next day or due date. Late homework is not accepted. There should ALWAYS be something written in the ELA section of their agenda. I expect students to write whatever I have written even if it is the same as the day before. For example, if I write “test on Friday” as Monday’s homework, I will leave it as homework for the entire week. The students should write “test on Friday” everyday. Since agendas have not been distributed yet, I gave each student a calendar to use until they have their agenda.
Upcoming Tests and Homework:
“I am Malala” Test #1 (includes part 1 and 2) Thursday, February 23. If students are behind and do not have the book, they have between now and Thursday to get a lunch pass to catch up. Students are welcome to come if they just wish to study and/or ask questions.
IMPORTANT: Our next novel will be “I am Malala” (young readers edition). Unfortunately, I do not have a class set of this book. I am asking students to purchase their own copy by February 1st. Used copies can be found on Amazon.com for around $5.00. PLEASE MAKE SURE IT IS THE YOUNG READERS EDITION!